Corner of Monterey and Beach Street
Morro Bay, CA 93442
Office Phone :: 805.772.8525
Email :: email@example.com
go to complete contact details »
July 2008 - Blogs
Kenya Team Update - via Pastor Matt Pottenger
Today I (matt) was able to Join our good friends the Compeans in
Nairobi Kenya to see and partake in the ministry they have started
First off we gathered together a group of the women from their
church and sent them off to a women's conference where Peg and the
rest of the girls from our team were gathering.
After that Ed and I went to a man's house who had been struggling with some things and
slipping back into witchcraft and drinking. We were able to have a
good meeting with him and he seemed very encouraged and wanted to come
back to church (we pray that he follows through with these godly
desiers) you can pray for him, his name is Brian. After that we went
to have a late lunch in Githurai where we had some traditional Kenyan
food (beef stew, Sakuma, Chapati) and then went to pick up one of the
leaders in his church (Daniel) who is leading a bible study in a town
near by as an outreach of CIF.
We traveld for 20 minutes and crossed
out of Nairobi Province to Central Province of Kenya and walked around
a rural coffee plantation community and spoke with several people and
prayed for them. We then gathered in a small house (shack) with a
bed, fire, and a few stools to sit on (dirt floor) and had a bible
study (it was led by Daniel - a Kenyan and it was all in Kiswahili)
(it was a good test of how much of the langauage I knew).
Most of the time during the Bible study I was either keeping myself awake (as our
late lunch was digesting heavy and making me drowsy) or praying or
quizing myself on the words I understood. Meanwhile a little boy
(although I thought it was a girl) who was 2 years old (not much older
than KG) was coming up and playing tag with me and other such
entertaining games. There were about 4-5 kids who would come and go,
plus a Mzee (older man) and 3 or 4 women who were at this Bible Study.
I was very blessed and encouarged seeing this raw ministry take place
and to be a part of a new work that God is doing in Kamiti (the name
of the small village). It has been cold and rainy here and thus the
mud was caking on our shoes as we walked around the slums.
Peg was teaching tonight at the WC. Please pray for KG, Peg and La for rest
as KG will most likely keep them up some tonight. Pray for the team,
that they would step outside of their comfort zones as the girls are
sharing rooms with the Kenyan women at the Conference. Pray for me as
I walk around Githurai with Brian (the man Ed and I visited)
tomorrow... and however the Lord would allow for futher ministry to
him. Pray for the Distinctives Seminar I'll be helping with at CIF on
Saturday. Pray four our time on Sunday at CIF we will have a long day
7am-8pm out all day, and for KG that she would do well despite not
having her normal bed and sleep times.
God is blessing us so much and the team is growing closer to him and each other. I'm excited that we
have a couple more weeks to watch the ministry unfold. Thank you for praying.
Mungu Akubariki - Matt Pottenger
S.E.N.T. Prayer Update
The Kenya Team made it safely!
Ramsey & Vicki (Nairobi, Kenya)
- They have been facing a lot of spiritual warfare. Please Pray!
- Please keep Ramsey especially in your prayers for the Sudan church building project; he has been getting specifically attacked in that area of his life.
- Also Ramsey is planning on returning to Sudan next month to continue with the church construction and the agriculture project. Please keep those plans in your prayers too.
- Please keep the women’s retreat and the teams coming in your prayers. Please pray for their protection while in Kenya.
- Please pray for the soil of the children’s hearts to be tilled in such a way that Jesus’ roots will grow so deep in their lives.
- Please pray for the teenagers of Kenya. Over the past month there have been over 10 fires at secondary schools (high school) around the county and one teenager has died so far. The reason for the fires…outright rebellion, all of the fires have been started by students themselves.
The Compeans (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Please thank God with us for those visiting and all He is doing in and through them.
- Please pray for the work in Kamiti Corner. The Bible study is going well and they are asking for a church. Please pray God would raise up the right man. Please also pray as we have placed some Talking Bibles in the community and there is great fruit from the hearing of God's word.
- Finally, please pray as Haley begins her long journey home to Kenya! She'll be leaving Mexico on Saturday, and fly out on Wednesday evening to arrive in Kenya on Friday. Thank you for praying her through her Mexican safari, now please pray as she returns home.
Josh & Edena Ory (Romania)
- That God would continue to grow, shape, encourage, and refine us to be more like His Son, Jesus
- That we would fall more in Love with Jesus and His Word God’s leading and direction for our lives
- For our summer camp July 20th - 26th
- Ionut and his walk with the Lord
- The kids we minister to each day
- Our friends and their families that are having babies
The EspoClan (China)
- Pray for Tim’s cousins, Victor and Wendy, son named Michael. Mikey was taken to the hospital and test indicated that he had suffered a small stroke. Further tests have indicated that Mikey has a disease called Moyamoya.
- Pray for camp in Chengdu
- Pray for their work in Chengdu as it has been announced that starting Aug 8 teams will be asked to leave the area
- Please keep Trudy lifted and the handful of volunteers that are coming up this week from Haikou.
- Please keep us lifted as we make the final arrangements and preparations.
- Please keep the four that we are leaving behind in Haikou -- Jason, Bob, Meng and Paul.
- Please lift up the coming term which begins in September. We are trying to decide if we should leave three people in Sichuan to finish their language classes and continue to coordinate the OFH relief effort through ERC. Greg, Alice and Aaron could study and run the program.
- Please lift up the plans for the skate park and coffee shop in Haikou.
- Please lift up TC’s adoption.
- Also lift up the non-profit group that may be forming in Haikou under the banner of the college where Trudy teaches. I have been asked to be a director of that group which will provide scholarships for students all over China to attend college.
- Please lift up those interns and teachers that the boss is preparing to begin their work at OFH in the coming term.
Pray for the Kenya Team
Pray for the Thailand Team